There's been some confusion over whether Nevada football will allow fans at games this season, with several people tweeting 2020 will be a fan-less season. But that's not the case.
While the Wolf Pack, nor any other local sports team, has not been given clearance to allow fans to attend games yet do to the COVID-19 pandemic, no final ruling has been made.
“While we do anticipate reduced capacity at Mackay Stadium, we continue to evaluate a number of seating models as we work with local and state health departments and other agencies to plan for the upcoming season," Nevada spokesperson Chad Hartley said Thursday.
Nevada announced in June it would have a "significantly reduced available capacity" at Mackay Stadium and other on-campus facilities as it opens the 2020-21 season. The exact capacities were not determined, but it was anticipated capacity at the 27,000-seat Mackay Stadium would be less than 50 percent of the stadium. Since then, COVID-19 cases in Washoe County, and across the country, have spiked, although the Wolf Pack's season opener has been pushed back until Sept. 26 at the earliest, allowing the possibility of getting numbers under control before then.
Reno 1868 FC will open its home schedule Saturday against the Tacoma Defiance and do so without fans. Reno 1868 FC has partnered with the Las Vegas Lights, a USL team in Southern Nevada, in presenting a plan to the Governor's office to allow limited attendance. To this point, the franchise has not received the go-ahead to bring fans into Greater Nevada Field.
Both the Wolf Pack and Reno 1868 FC would have to get approval from local and state government to bring fans into their stadiums. Nevada football's season is expected to run through the end of November with Reno 1868 FC's regular season ending in early October. Both teams remain optimistic they will be able to bring fans into their stadium at some point in 2020.
Nevada has said season-ticket holders would get first entry into Mackay Stadium if fans are allowed. The Wolf Pack has not released renewals for men's basketball yet, although it did reach out to season-ticket holders this week to say it is hopeful it can play a full schedule and that updates in ticket renewals will be made available in the coming month.