For the third year in a row, the Nevada softball team is headed to postseason. This year the Pack has been selected to participate and host the 2019 National Invitational Softball Championship. The field has been announced and with 19 teams officially bracketed, Round 1 play will begin Thursday with the regional championship game played on Saturday.
Nevada will host three others teams in Fresno State, Loyola Marymount and UC Riverside in the west regional. The regionals are all double elimination, with the four regional winners advancing to the NISC Championship in Fort Collins on May 24-26.
Here’s the list of teams that will be playing in this year’s event, sorted by most wins:
- George Washington (42-16, 15-7 Atlantic 10)
- Liberty (37-20, 16-5 Atlantic Sun)
- Fresno State (36-18, 14-10 Mountain West)
- South Dakota State (36-17, 11-7 Summit)
- Loyola Marymount (35-18, 11-4 West Coast)
- Eastern Kentucky (34-20, 16-6 Ohio Valley)
- South Dakota (33-26, 12-6 Summit)
- Iowa State (32-23, 7-11 Big 12)
- Appalachian State (31-23, 13-13 Sun Belt)
- Purdue (31-27, 11-13 Big Ten)
- McNeese State (30-30, 19-8 Southland)
- UT Arlington (30-26, 17-10 Sun Belt)
- Marshall (29-20, 17-7 Conference USA)
- Middle Tennessee (29-28, 11-13 Conference USA)
- Rutgers (28-24, 11-12 Big Ten)
- Nevada (27-25, 11-13 Mountain West)
- Kent State (27-24, 11-5 MAC)
- UC Riverside (26-25, 8-13 Big West)
- Stephen F. Austin (25-21, 18-9 Southland)
For 11 teams, this is their first time playing in the NISC. It’s the second trip in the brackets for Eastern Kentucky, Liberty, Loyola Marymount, South Dakota State, Stephen F. Austin and UC Riverside; it’s the third time for Nevada and UT Arlington.