MENU

Coroner: Former Aces, Angels pitcher Skaggs died of accidental overdose

skaggs.jpg
Coroner: Former Aces, Angels pitcher Skaggs died of accidental overdose

A medical examiner in Texas has ruled that Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office said in a report released Friday that Skaggs had the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system along with alcohol.

The 27-year-old Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1 before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postpone.

The left-hander pitched for the Reno Aces in 2012, going 4-2 with a 2.91 ERA in nine starts. He made his major league debut that season before being traded back to the Angels after the 2013 season.

Offbeat News

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER