Just call Jordan Caroline "Mr. 40."
The Wolf Pack forward had a stellar game in Nevada's 98-82 win over Colorado State on Wednesday, tallying 40 points, 12 rebounds and three assists in the victory. Here are a number of superlatives from his effort.
* Caroline's 40 points are tied for the fifth most in a game by a Nevada player. The Wolf Pack record is 49 by Alex Boyd against Williamette in December 1967. Boyd attempted 49 shots in that game. Caroline attempted 19 shots against Colorado State. Besides Caroline and Boyd, the only other Nevada players to score 40-plus points in a game are Kevin Franklin and Gabriel Parizzia.
* Caroline is the second player in program history with multiple 40-point games (he scored a career-high 45 points at New Mexico two seasons ago). The other player with two 40-point games is Franklin, who scored 48 at Loyola Marymount in 1989 and 40 against Eastern Washington in 1990. Those efforts came in the same season.
* Caroline actually has more 40-point games (two) than 30-point games (one) in his career.
* Caroline is the first Wolf Pack player to score 40-plus points in a double-double (he also had those 12 rebounds against Colorado State).
* Caroline's 40 points are the most by a Mountain West player this season. Utah State's Sam Merrill is second with 37 points against Montana State. Wyoming's Justin James has scored 34 points twice. If you're curious the MW record for points in a game is 52 by BYU's Jimmer Fredette. Caroline's 45-point game against New Mexico ranks sixth in MW history.
* Caroline became the Mountain West's career double-double leader, recording his 41st double-double at Nevada, passing Utah's Andrew Bogut and San Diego State's Kawhi Leonard, who both had 40. Nevada is 39-2 in games in which Caroline records a double-double. If you include his season at Southern Illinois, Caroline has 44 career double-doubles.
* Caroline's six 3-pointers made were a career high. He hit those six 3-pointers in the first 12 minutes, 6 seconds of the game. He had 23 points in the first 12:06. Caroline's previous high for made threes was five in the 45-point game at New Mexico.
* Caroline made 12-of-14 free throws against Colorado State, the 12 makes being the second most in his career behind a 14 made free throw game against Rhode Island last season.
* The only stat I was curious about but couldn't confirm was whether Caroline's 30 points in the first half were the most in a half by a Wolf Pack player. It is not as Caroline scored 32 points in the second half of his 45-point game at New Mexico. Whether that is the Wolf Pack record, I don't know since I couldn't find a record book stat for most points in a half. Either way, it was a historic and incredible night for Caroline, who is 73 points away from joining the 2,000-point, 1,000-rebound club in his college career.