USA Today released its FBS assistant coaching database Wednesday, and let's just say there's a lot of money in college football these days. A record 21 assistant coaches made at least $1 million. But perhaps my favorite stat is this: 146 assistant coaches made at least as much this year as Nevada's head coach Jay Norvell, who pulled in $500,000 in guaranteed salary in 2018 (11th among the 12 Mountain West head coaches). Let's dive deeper into the numbers from a MW perspective. USA Today got the numbers for all of the MW schools except Air Force and Hawaii, so they are omitted in this story as they're unavailable.
MW assistant coach pools
1. Boise State, $2,345,018
2. Colorado State, $1,942,375
3. Wyoming, $1,924,297
4. Fresno State, $1,816,136
5. San Diego State, $1,700,984
6. Utah State, $1,700,000
7. New Mexico, $1,540,525
8. Nevada, $1,391,345
9. UNLV, $1,371,010
10. San Jose State, $1,320,240
In short: Colorado State wasted a ton of money on football this season; Nevada had the cheapest staff to make a bowl game in the MW.
1. Wyoming DC Scottie Hazleton, $400,474
2. Boise State DC Andy Avalos, $355,000
3. Wyoming OC Brent Vigen, $350,470
4. SDSU OC Jeff Horton, $334,920
5. Colorado State DC John Jancek, $333,125
6. Fresno State OC Kalen DeBoer, $333,048
7. Boise State OC Zak Hill, $310,000
8. SJSU DC Derrick Odum, $305,052
9. Boise State special teams coordinator Kent Riddle, $300,000
10. Utah State OC David Yost, $300,000
In short: Wyoming is really spending on its coordinators; Boise State has three of the top-nine paid MW assistants.
DC Jeff Casteel, $238,703
OC Matt Mumme, $203,322
AHC/OL Angus McClure, $195,700
CB David Lockwood, $143,170
RB David White, $106,090
ST Tommy Perry, $106,090
WR Timmy Chang, $106,090
DL Jason Kaufusi, $106,090
WR Eric Scott, $106,090
S Mike Chamoures, $80,000
In short: While Nevada ranks third to last in the MW in assistant salary, this is probably the most expensive assistant staff in school history.
Former Wolf Pack assistants of note.
* DC Andy Buh, Maryland, $650,000
* OL Chris Klenakis, Louisville, $607,500
* DC Tim DeRuyter, Cal, $416,500
* OL Darren Hiller, Indiana, $402,000
* DC Scottie Hazleton, Wyoming, $400,474
* RB Jim Mastro, Oregon, $360,000
* OC Jeff Horton, San Diego State, $334,920
* LB Ken Wilson, Washington State, $296,500
* WR Lester Erb, Rutgers, $238,703
* CB Donte Williams, Oregon, $225,000
In short: Sometimes it pays to leave The Mothership.